Monday, June 1, 2009

I Made It!

After numerous flights, delays, and layovers, I am here in Kigali! Got in today early evening just in time to take in the scenic drive from the airport to the temporary housing that I am staying in. The house is off the beaten path not too far from the American Embassy. With little time left in the day to become acquainted with the city, I opted to get settled into the house and went out to dinner with Keza's Chief of Operations. Today's journey was long and exhausting as there were a few delays. My last connecting flight from Addis Ababa, Ethiopa to Kigali, Rwanda had some technical difficulties. After taking off, the captain notified us that our right generator had gone out and that we must turn back immediately. Then, we had a hold on our landing and had to fly in circles for at least forty minutes in order to burn off the fuel and excess weight so that we could land. After touching ground we had to wait for another plane. After a few hours, an employee gave us the choice between departing immediately with no lunch served, or waiting another two hours so that the crew could prepare the food carts to serve lunch for another flight. An obvious choice to me, I was ready to just get to our final destination with or without the airplane food that is served. Grateful to have made it here safe and sound and looking forward to tomorrow. I will meet some of the other interns that are out here this summer, move into our new housing for the interns, and get a chance to get to know my way around town. I am so excited! Turning in for my first nights sleep in Rwanda...good night!

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure Addis Abbaba is where they say the supposed resting place of the arc of the covenant is! just fyi... you were there haha

    ReplyDelete