Sunday, March 1, 2009

Welcome!

I am returning to Africa! Two years ago, I had the opportunity to work in the war torn region of Nothern Uganda for an independent humanitarian trip. I worked within local orphanages and Internally Displaced Peoples Camps to provide Aids awareness, sex education, and overall relief work. I had the great priviledge to meet and work with the most incredible individuals and organizations. Since that initial experience, I have had the heart to continue humanitarian work wherever opportunity knocks.

Recently, I received the opportunity to work with Keza Organization based in Kigali, Rwanda. Keza is dedicated to developing sustainable opportunities for underpriviledged women within the fashion and beauty industry. Through these industries in Rwanda, we can empower deserving women by developing much needed skill training and cosmetology education. By providing the needed resources, we most importantly provide self-sustaining opportunities for a better quality of life. I will go this summer as a PR Communications Assistant, working alongside the Beauty School Coordinator to meet the demands of research and development. Our work will build the foundation of a mobile world class Academy that will transfer and expand to countries all over Africa. My responsibilities will include but are not limited to coordinating national cosmetology contests, managing public relations, press, network development, and assisting in expansion research. My priority is to meet these demands to the best of my ability in order to meet the needs of the women of Rwanda.

To accomplish this humanitarian work with Keza, I am in need of sponsorship to cover all internship related expenses. As a volunteer, these expenses include but are not limited to airfare, transportation, housing, food, and other travel related expenses. The approximate summer internship budget is $4,000.00 for 2-3 months. An Intern sponsorship is tax deductible providing the benefit of tax write-offs. In addition, there will be global promotional exposure for sponsoring businesses through Keza Films, and sponsor logos at National Contests.

3 comments:

  1. I think you are so inspiring. You are taking what you love to do and finding an great application for it. It is pretty much exactly what I do in architecture. In terms of funding you have to apply for outstanding commitment award. It is a grant that I believe you have a great shot at getting and could easily get. I will email you info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,

    Thanks for sharing your experiences with all of us...How long will you be there?
    Peace and good wishes,

    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so inspired by your vision and efforts in various humanitarian causes and bettering the lives of so many. You are actually following your passion and doing what you set out to do. I am so happy to know that you will inspire others to pursue their passion to help others too. We look forward to sponsoring your flight accommodations for this worthy cause. Global peace and best wishes

    ReplyDelete